UC 50 years ago

Nearly three out of four ulcerative colitis (UC) sufferers (73 percent) responding to a new nationwide survey say not feeling well has become a normal part of life. Furthermore, they describe UC as disruptive when it comes to their relationship with a spouse (64 percent), their sexual relations (75 percent) and their emotional state (82 percent).
How do you cope with colitis ? Are you struggling with the emotional effects ? Even if a problem shared isn't a problem halved it may help to discuss it with people in the same situation.
UClongtimeago
What is your status: Colitis Sufferer
Date first diagnosed with IBD: 05 Aug 1964

UC 50 years ago

Post by UClongtimeago » Mon Aug 21, 2017 9:41 am

Hi

I had UC some fifty years ago with a sub total colostomy. The years following the operation, and entering my teens, life was not easy and I learnt how to have full bowel control and now know what to eat and what to avoid. From my late teens and on life was as close to normal as you can get. Now in my late fifties I have a few problems that have been related back to the Colitis. Arthritis in knees, shoulders and hips. Vitamin B12 and D deficiencies and a complex fistula with two openings into the bowel. I would like to talk to someone who may have experienced the same and to share ideas and experiences.

Chris

Paicey1234
What is your status: Colitis Sufferer
Date first diagnosed with IBD: 01 Aug 2006

Re: UC 50 years ago

Post by Paicey1234 » Sat Aug 26, 2017 8:25 am

Hello,

I am sorry to hear you are going through some troubles.

I have had UC for 11years - happy to chat if you would like, despite not have as much experience. I am on b12 and vit d supplements. Send me over a PM if you would like to get anything off your chest :)

Best,
Andrew