Pain in rectal stump following a total colectomy

Are you considering surgery ? Have you had surgery ? Trying to cope with colostomy ? Share your experience with others here.
clarabella
Power poster
What is your status: Carer or relative
Date first diagnosed with IBD: 10 Jun 2012

Pain in rectal stump following a total colectomy

Post by clarabella » Wed Dec 21, 2016 3:48 pm

Hi,

Well it's been six months since hubby's surgery - gosh how time flies! Overall, he is happy with the surgery albeit a few bumps in the road (blockages, rashes etc)

The only problem he is really having now is pain in the rectal stump. It was left intact when he had his total colectomy. The pain comes and goes, but has become worse over the last few weeks. He currently takes suppositories (Pentasa) every night to help. His stoma nurse said that this is common in people with ulcerative colitis as the rectal stump is still active with the disease. His doctor did mention that he can have the rectal stump removed. Has anyone had any experience with this surgery? Does it solve the problem or create further problems?

Really appreciate any advice.

Thanks,
Clara

philayl63
Power poster
Date first diagnosed with IBD: 0- 2-2001

Re: Pain in rectal stump following a total colectomy

Post by philayl63 » Sat Dec 24, 2016 5:33 pm

Hi Clara, I had the Total Proctectomy in Feb this year, it involved a hospital stay of six days but did take a few months to settle down. I am really glad I had it done, and wouldn't hesitate to have it done again in the same circumstances, an infected stump can be nuisance. I would recommend having it done, I've never felt healthier or happier since. Phil

clarabella
Power poster
What is your status: Carer or relative
Date first diagnosed with IBD: 10 Jun 2012

Post by clarabella » Fri Jan 13, 2017 4:06 pm

Sorry for my late reply. Thank you for your post and advice. I'm glad to hear you solved the problem and your surgery was a success.

My husband spoke with his doctor today about getting the stump removed and was told he would be in hospital for 4 days and it would take 4 weeks to recover. He's not sure when to have the operation as he is finally starting to feel healthy again after years of being ill. He does not want to jump into another operation so soon after his last one (he had his total colectomy 6 months ago). The doctor said he has a maximum of 5 years to get the surgery as the risk of bowl cancer increases significantly after having ulcerative colitis for 10 year (he's had it for 4 and half years now). I am worried about the risk of cancer and want him to get it done sooner rather than later.

rogalin47
Power poster
What is your status: Colitis Sufferer
Date first diagnosed with IBD: 01 Jul 1992

Post by rogalin47 » Sun Jan 22, 2017 7:38 pm

I've had my rectal stump removed and its the best decision I ever made. I had active UC and diversion colitis in it and was having awful problems with bleeding, pain, discharge etc that no amount of enemas or suppositories helped so I was delighted to wave goodbye to my last piece of diseased bowel.

I had no problems with healing, everything healed quickly and painlessly. I was advised to put a handful of salt in my daily bath and to walk around with no underwear on.....luckily it was summertime so I got away with that by wearing maxi dresses!

Like Phil, I'm much happier knowing that my rectal stump is now history and I will have no more worries or symptoms about uc returning

21 years of evil UC over on 6th April 2013, welcome to Norman the stoma whose given me my life back!!