IBD and Mild Distal Proctitis

Use this forum for anything else colitis related. Strugling with the disease on a day to day basis - then somebody may be able to help you. Looking for some information - each topic in these forums are viewed by hundreds of other sufferers who may be able to help.
Isabella84
What is your status: Other
Date first diagnosed with IBD: 06 Apr 2017

IBD and Mild Distal Proctitis

Post by Isabella84 » Sun Apr 09, 2017 5:14 pm

Hello everyone,

I am not sure if anyone here can help but I thought I give it a try :D

I recently had a sigmoidoscopy and virtual colonoscopy I am still waiting for the colonoscopy results.

During the sigmoidoscopy the gastroenterologist took two samples for biopsy.

Once the sigmoidoscopy was completed the nurse handed me a very slim report which read:

Indications
Blood loss rectal bleeding

Diagnoses
inflammatory bowel disease and very mild distal proctitis.

I have an appointment with the gastroenterologist on Thursday to discuss the results of the colonoscopy and of the biopsy.

However as I haven't had a chance to speak to the gastroenterolgist regarding the sigmoidoscopy report, I have few doubts which are driving me crazy.

As the doctor wrote "inflammatory bowel disease and distal proctitis" does that mean he is certain I have an IBD and the biopsy was done to confirm which one and to what extension? Or the proctitis in itself is an IBD..? .. I know I should just wait for the biopsy results and to speak to the doctor but I wonder why he wrote generically "inflammatory bowel disease and".

I wonder if anyone here in this forum have had a similar diagnoses and if anyone who is effected with distal proctitis could enlighten me a little.

I would also like to add that I had a colonoscopy about 9 years ago in Italy (where I am from) and was diagnosed with proctitis then as well, I don't remember having been given any medicine to treat it.. at that time I didn't worry as the colonoscopy was done to exclude serious pathologies like cancer etc.. nobody explained what proctitis is and being 23 at the time I didn't worry much.

Lately my problems which have always been attributed to ibs (spastic colon) have worsen and changed pattern hence the reason I was advise to have these tests done. My brother also died at 42 for cancer in the colon so I guess doctors take that into consideration as well.

Thank you in advance for anyone who can help.

Bella