Does Infliximab (Remicade) make colds last longer?

Use this to discuss your experiences of medications. Have you tried any of the new medications like colazine or remicade ? How did you find them ? Have you found some medications worked far better for you than others ?
maxmillion
What is your status: Colitis Sufferer
Date first diagnosed with IBD: 06 Jun 2006

Does Infliximab (Remicade) make colds last longer?

Post by maxmillion » Sat Dec 17, 2016 1:31 pm

Hello fellow 'mab users. I have had only two Infliximab infusions so far. I had to cancel my 3rd because I had a bad cold. But 3 weeks later, the cold is still really dragging me down, with lots of coughing, congestion and phlegm, and extreme tiredness. My fever only went about 1 degree over normal for a day or two. Is becoming nearly bedridden from a month-long cold what I can expect on Infliximab? What contagious illnesses have you gotten while on a 'mab and how long did they last?

What is worse, I got a UC flare up in the middle of all this and now I am suffering all the familiar UC symptoms, too.
Although I had no reaction to the infusions, I am considering giving up on Infliximab now.

LouLou1608
Power poster
Date first diagnosed with IBD: 03 Feb 2012

Re: Does Infliximab (<a href=

Post by LouLou1608 » Wed Dec 21, 2016 12:16 am

Hi maxmillion

I was on Infliximab, or rather Inflectra, the generic version, for approximately 18 months until, just recently, my body began making antibodies to it and so now I am about to start Humira injections. I know that Infliximab does suppress the immune system so it is possible that your severe and long lasting cold is due to the drug, but I know a lot of people at the moment who are on no strong drugs at all and who have succumbed to such a severe cold too and have been suffering with it for a month or so, so bear in mind that it could just be coincidence.

I would be inclined to give it a bit more of a chance unless your consultant thinks it's a bad idea. Infliximab/Inflectra gave me 18 months of wonderful remission and allowed me to end my pred addiction and start to let my liver and bones recover...

Good luck, I hope you feel better soon :)

OrsenTrapp
Power poster
Date first diagnosed with IBD: 12 Jun 2014

Re: Does Infliximab (<a href=

Post by OrsenTrapp » Tue Jul 04, 2017 7:54 pm

I recovered better from colds/didn't get them than other 'normal' folk in the community. Could just be that I have a very strong immune system and infliximab didn't knock it out enough. In fact, after a year and a half, I'm now off infliximab as couldn't stop steroids without flaring. Now on vedolizumab.

Not 'suffering', just living with something I now know I've had a long time - and trying to maintain my sense of humour :D
UC upgraded to severe crohn's with 'small print', ie rare, complications.