Running a marathon

Use this forum to share your experiences of changes to lifestyle and diet. Have you found anything that helped your colitis ? Have you tried low residue diets or increasing your water intake ?
500Miles
What is your status: Colitis Sufferer
Date first diagnosed with IBD: 01 Dec 2015

Running a marathon

Post by 500Miles » Sat Feb 04, 2017 2:12 pm

Hello,

I've just found this site and am hoping I might be able to get some advice on running and UC.

For background: I was diagnosed with UC in December 2015 and, after a spell on steroids and Asacol, seem to have it somewhat under control. I had a mild flare-up before Christmas due to some conflicting medication prescribed by my GP, but that is now under control too, although I am still on the maximum Asacol dose and will be until June at the earliest.

My question is about my running capabilities. I've always been a reasonably regular runner, but mostly short distances - I am comfortable with a regular 5km run and I do occasional 10km events. However, I have signed up to do the York Marathon in October and I am now feeling slightly concerned about the implications of this, as I'm reading some conflicting information about how manageable it will be.

I have a training programme which includes a half marathon in May, so I am having to increase my running at quite a rate. Some information I have read indicates that, while regular short runs can be a real positive for UC, pushing yourself too hard can have a very detrimental effect. Does anyone know if this is true, or could anyone tell me if they think the marathon goal is achievable?

I'm also quite worried about the possibility of being caught short while doing the run, as it will obviously take a few hours. I could take Imodium as a one-off, but I'm concerned this might have a negative impact on my ability to actually run the race. Does anyone have any experience on this?

Many thanks for reading and any advice would be hugely appreciated!