Bleeding

Nearly three out of four ulcerative colitis (UC) sufferers (73 percent) responding to a new nationwide survey say not feeling well has become a normal part of life. Furthermore, they describe UC as disruptive when it comes to their relationship with a spouse (64 percent), their sexual relations (75 percent) and their emotional state (82 percent).
How do you cope with colitis ? Are you struggling with the emotional effects ? Even if a problem shared isn't a problem halved it may help to discuss it with people in the same situation.

Moderators: Rosie, midjet, andrewg, Joe Fogey

MarkyC1964
What is your status: Colitis Sufferer
Date first diagnosed with IBD: 15 Jul 2001

Bleeding

Post by MarkyC1964 » Fri Feb 23, 2018 10:44 am

Hi all,
I'm new here and need some advice/reassurance, I recently (October 2017) began a flare up with heavy bleeding and as usual upped my maintenance dose of Octasa and when this didn't work began using my Salofalk suppositories under instruction from my team at the hospital, however this didn't have it's usual impact so they put me on <a href="http://www.ulcerativecolitis.org.uk/medications/steroids.htm" target="_blank">steroids</a> which in the past had work promptly but on this occasion seemed slow to react. I persevered and completed the course and had been blood free for a few weeks and finished taking them over Christmas but since had the odd passing of blood and this morning had quite heavy bleeding.
I'm awaiting an appointment for a flexi sigmoidoscopy
Can I ask if this is normal for any of you or what you typical experience is.

Thanks

rogalin47
Power poster
Date first diagnosed with IBD: 01 Jul 1992

Re: Bleeding

Post by rogalin47 » Sat Feb 24, 2018 8:35 pm

Hi Marky
I would ring your IBD nurse first thing Monday morning for advice or an appointment. Bleeding usually heralds a flare up so the sooner you get to treat it the sooner you'll get it under control, don't wait until your sigmoidoscopy before seeking help as that could be weeks away.

21 years of evil UC over on 6th April 2013, welcome to Norman the stoma whose given me my life back!!
MarkyC1964
Date first diagnosed with IBD: 15 Jul 2001

Re: Bleeding

Post by MarkyC1964 » Mon Feb 26, 2018 8:08 am

Hi there rogalin47
Thanks for getting back to me and I've been in touch with my team at the hospital, they've upped my maintenance dose and I'm on Salofalk suppositories in the hope they bring it under control.
It's odd on this occasion that my stools have remained firm and I've experienced no urgency or more frequent visits to the <a href="http://www.ulcerativecolitis.org.uk/Public_Toilets.htm" target="_blank">toilet</a>, usually I'm chained to the <a href="http://www.ulcerativecolitis.org.uk/Public_Toilets.htm" target="_blank">toilet</a> when a flare begins.