Stoma working but very painful

Are you considering surgery ? Have you had surgery ? Trying to cope with colostomy ? Share your experience with others here.

Moderators: Rosie, midjet, andrewg, Joe Fogey

rogalin47
Power poster
What is your status: Colitis Sufferer
Date first diagnosed with IBD: 01 Jul 1992

Stoma working but very painful

Post by rogalin47 » Wed Jan 17, 2018 6:21 pm

Considering I have had numerous blockages over the years most of which I ended up in hospital with you would think I should have some idea what is currently going on with my stoma right now.....but I dont!

Yesterday evening my tummy behind my stoma started to feel tender and overnight then became swollen and painful, my stoma is also swollen and has retracted slightly. (I do have a hernia behind it which is symptom free) BUT, and this is the strange thing, my stoma is still producing output as normal. I rang my stoma clinic at lunchtime and was told the nurse would ring me back shortly, so far I've heard nothing. It's been 24 hours now and I'm still in a lot of discomfort and with a very swollen tum, I don't want to go shooting off to A&E because I don't think I have a full on blockage as I'm still outputting but something is not right. Any ideas? I've done all the usual, hot bath, hot peppermint tea, gentle <a href="http://www.ulcerativecolitis.org.uk/Walking.htm" target="_blank">walking</a> and massaging around my stoma.....did this very gently as it's sooooo sore.

Obviously if it's no better tomorrow i will seek further advice but I do feel a bit of a fraud due to the normal output in getting. Just wondered if any of my very knowledgeable friends on here had any thoughts/ideas on the above

21 years of evil UC over on 6th April 2013, welcome to Norman the stoma whose given me my life back!!